Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Oh Hey You (あなた)



Back in the day... Chip, one of my best friends growing up, had a foreign exchange student named You. I'm pretty sure it was spelled like this though, そなた.

Back in high school we used to tease each other every time we heard the name You, pretending the person was talking about Chip's little house guest. It got even worse when the neighbor also got an exchange student. Her name was "We" probably spelled, 私達. Of course the two of them became good friends and we had You and We hanging out all the time.

To this day I still think about You (the foreign exchange student) every time I hear her name in every day sentences.

Dewey: Was it You that took the garbage out?
Me: Chip's foreign exchange student? What is she doing around here?

Dewey: Did You eat all the rest of the M&Ms?
Me: So.. she not only loves Hello Kitty, but she's also a big fan of chocolate?

Dewey: I love You
Me: What the $(^%^* ???

I'm sure I'm not the only one of my friends who has this problem. You had a big impact on our lives, and we will never forget her. Do you think You forgot us?

6 comments:

  1. I thank You for this post. I have the same problem. And I'm sure You will have emotional scars from us for the rest of her life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This delighteth me much.
    You have no idea (really she doesn't.)
    You are not the only one who has this problem. Nic hates this joke because I go in spurts where I can't stop doing it.
    You and me are actually friends on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am with Nic and also hate this joke. It gets old when all I want to do it have a nice convo with my wife and all she'll talk about is You. It sidetracks our conversations every day and sometimes I forget what I was trying to say. Dear You, I hate you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, I love yu. This is wonderful. yu makes a great impact on lives. yu have given us some very great memories!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Gosh, I remember finding this so annoying! Me: "Steve, who are you going to prom with?" Steven: "You" Me: "Umm...I'm way to popular and cool to go with you. Steven: "No, I am going with YOU!"...as you can see, I think I stopped talking to Steven during his You phase because I was so annoyed :)

    ReplyDelete